Dharam Singh Deol known as Dharmendra is an Indian Actor, Film producer & Ex-Politician, who is famous for his 100+ successful films as a lead actor and is also called He-Man (Super-Hero) of Indian cinema.
|Real Name||Dharam Singh Deol|
|Nickname||Garam Dharam, He-Man|
|Date of Birth||8 December 1935|
|Age (in 2021)||86 years|
|Born in||Nasrali, Tehsil Khanna, Ludhiana, Punjab, India|
|Profession||Actor, Film producer & Ex-Politician|
|Homeland||Sahnewal, Ludhiana, Punjab, India|
- Watching Movies
He was born on 8 December 1935 in Nasrali Village of Khanna Tehsil in Ludhiana, Punjab, India, and spent his childhood days in the Sahnewal village. Dharmendra’s age is 86 years as of 2021.
Since his childhood, he never had an interest in studies, he often made trouble for his mother in going to school. He did his early schooling at the Government Senior Secondary School in Layton Kalan, Ludhiana, Punjab, where his father was the school’s headmaster, Later, he got enrolled in Intermediate R.G. (Ramgarhia) College Phagwara in Punjab.
After which he left studies because of his lack of interest in it. He often shares his interest in acting & films with his Mother and was a die-hard fan of the actress, Suraiya for whom he travels a mile to watch her films.
It was his mother, who encouraged him for acting when one day she saw an advertisement for FilmFare a film, and told Dharmendra to go for it. Firstly, He got his portfolio done by Jaan Mohammed in Malerkotla. After which he sent the participation application.
He won the Filmfare New Talent Hunt Award and moved to Mumbai for the promised film but unfortunately, that film never went into production.
Dharmendra started his career in 1960 with his debut film “Dil Bhi Tera, Hum Bhi Tere”, and was paid 51 Rs for the role. A year after that, he performed a support role in the film “Boyfriend”.
From year 1960-1966, he performed romantic roles in several films until he appeared as a lead hero in the film “Phool Aur Patthar”. This film was a great hit and became the highest-grossing film of 1996 and Dharmendra flooded with popularity & fame and was nominated a Filmfare award for Best Actor in Phool Aur Patthar.
After his popularity, he got to work with several popular actresses of that time. In films Bandini (1963) and Soorat Aur Seerat (1962), he appeared with Nutan. After that, he made a great pair with Actress Meena Kumari in various films like Kaajal (1965), Phool Aur Patthar (1966), Main Bhi Ladki Hoon (1964), Chandan Ka Palna (1967), etc.
His pair with the actress Hema Malini became the most successful & popular pair of that time which produced films like Sharafat, Sholay, Charas, Maa, Azaad, etc. The film Sholay (1975) was listed in India’s Top 25 must-watch films and was one of the greatest films in the Indian Cinema Industry.
Thereafter, he’s touched the heights of fame and appeared in many different movies, In 1970 he starred in a Punjabi Film Kankan De Ohle.
Then after being a successful actor, he started his career as a producer, and his sons Sunny Deol & Bobby Deol stepped into the Indian cinema with the film Betaab (1983) & Barsaat (1995).
He also took part in Politics & served as a Member of the Indian Parliament representing Bikaner in Rajasthan on behalf of the Bharatiya Janata Party.
Dharmendra’s height is 5′ 8” (172 Centi Meters) and his weight is 80 Kilograms (Approximately).
|Height (Approximately)||172 Centi Meters (5′ 8”)|
|Weight (Approximately)||80 Kilograms|
|Television||India’s Got Talent (As a Judge in 2011)|
|Film||Dil Bhi Tera Hum Bhi Tere (1960)|
|Film (Punjabi)||Kankan De Ohle (1970)|
|Film (Producer)||Betaab (1983)|
His father’s name is Kewal Kishan Singh Deol who was a government school teacher and his mother’s name is Satwant Kaur, a housewife.
|Father Name||Kewal Kishan Singh Deol|
|Mother Name||Satwant Kaur|
|Brother Name||Ajit Singh Deol|
Girlfriends / Affairs
- Meena Kumari (In 1960s)
|Marriage Date||In 1954|
|Wife Name||Parkash Kaur|
|Marriage Date||2 May 1980|
|Wife Name||Hema Malini|
|Children||Two Sons & Daughters (From First Wife)|
Two Daughters (From Second Wife)
|Sons||Sunny Deol & Bobby Deol|
|Daughters (From First Wife)||Ajeeta Deol and Vijeeta Deol|
|Daughters (From Second Wife)||Esha Deol and Ahana Deol|
- Dillagi (1949)
- Arjun Hingorani
- Dilip Kumar
- Guru Dutt
- Kishore Kumar
- Lata Mangeshkar
- 17 Crore INR worth of buildings in Mumbai.
- 88 Lac INR worth of Agricultural land.
- 52 Lc INR worth of Non-Agricultural land.
- Mercedes Benz S-Class
- Range Rover
- Vintage Car
Related: Shahid Kapoor Biography
- When his first wife wasn’t allowing him a divorce in 1980, he changed his religion to Islam and got married to Hema Malini.
- Due to his negligible attendance in the Parliament attracted media and was criticized for it.
- In 2004, during an election campaign, Dharmendra made a sharp statement that he should be selected to teach Basic etiquette that democracy requires.
- In 2012, During Esha Deol’s wedding, he became angry when asked about Sunny & Bobby Deol.
- He was awarded the third-highest civilian award in the Republic of India Padma Bhushan in 2012.
- 1990 – National Film Award for Best Popular Film Ghayal.
- He holds 8 Filmfare awards for his Acting career.
Dharmendra has a net worth of $70 Million with a salary of 10 Crore Indian Rupees per Film. (Approximately)
Facts & Info
- Dharmendra got married to Parkash Kaura at the age of 19 years.
- His nephew Abhay Deol is also an Actor, Dharmendra got him a role in his movie Socha Na Tha (2005).
- He’s a die-hard fan of Suraiya and used to walk a mile to watch her movies. When Suraiya died in 2004, Dharmendra also attended her funeral.
- It’s rumored that Dharmendra fell in love with Hema Malini during their shoot together for the film Sholay (1975). He used to pay off the light boys to disturb the light during shooting to have as many take a possible with Hema Malini.
- Hema’s parents didn’t want her to marry Dharmendra because he was already married to Parkash Kaur. But Dharmendra didn’t give up and on the day of Hema Malini’s marriage to Jeetendra, He tried to enter the marriage hall but wasn’t allowed in there & was pushed back by Hema’s father.
- After that, Hema refused to marry Jeetdendra & fell in love with Dharmendra. They got married on 2 May 1980.
- In Sholay, Amitabh Bachchan was a new actor to Dharmendra, but they got along great & became a symbol of friendship in Bollywood.
- During an event with Dilip Kumar, He said that Dharmendra is the most handsome man he has ever seen and gave a compliment “Bhagwaan Ne Badi Fursat Se Banaya Hoga Ise”.